Friday, September 13, 2013

Extreme Close-Ups of a Finished Portrait

I have several portrait commissions going right now, and I just finished one last week. Unfortunately, I can't show it to you until it's unveiled in November, but I couldn't resist giving you a couple little detail shots in the mean time, since this is one of my most successful commissioned portraits EVER. :-) I was loving the outdoor light, white dresses, and rugged rocks. You'll notice I tried to stay fairly loose and painterly in the rocks and clothing, but smoothed out my brushwork over the skin. The weight, size, and thickness of a brushstroke should be determined by the subject matter. I wanted to treat the skin of the two girls with both sensitivity and freshness to indicate their youth. The overall canvas size is 42x36". I can't wait to show you the whole thing!










Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. This painting is fabulous! thanks for posting the closeups. I have been reading some of your older posts, especially the ones about the broken finger. OMG!! Maybe I should try painting with my left hand. LOL! Your right handed efforts are just amazing! Such talent! I'm so happy to be one of your students.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...