Sunday, January 6, 2013

First painting of 2013: "Lullaby"

This brand new painting, "Lullaby," is the second in a set of portraits that have been in the works for several months. I am posting them both today.


"Lullaby" - 21.75 x 16" - oil on linen



Both portraits feature my dear friend Laura, and her one-month-old son, Simon. "Nurturer" (see below) also includes Laura's 2-year-old daughter, Elise. I was incredibly honored to spend three days with this beautiful family, humbly documenting with canvas and brush the biological wonder of breastfeeding. There were times when I was moved to tears as I watched this young mother -- who had struggled during her pregnancy -- sing and murmer to her little boy. I wanted to capture that incredible intimacy and love shared between mother and son. I was also awed by the love and caring that Laura's two girls had for their little brother. I don't know if my work could ever be called "poetic," but I think the subject matter here certainly is. Laura had art modelled many times in college, both for me and for her husband, who is also an artist. There is just something about her that whispers, "muse," and so, here she is -- more beautiful and glowing than ever.


"Nurturer" - 24x30" - oil on linen

Both paintings were completed in the studio, but I found that I relied heavily on the color studies I painted from life. The studies were invaluable in that they helped me remember the lighting, the colors, and what I was feeling at the time that I painted them.


(Above) The model, with my color study for "Nurturer", painted from life



Here is another color study (8x6") from my weekend with Laura and her family. 


I am sad that this project is finished! I'll just have to rope my friend into modelling me again for something else... :-)

By the way, if you wish to see the progression of "Nurturer" from start to finish, click here to view a slideshow.


Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. Some people become sad, when they see a great artist, better then themselves. For me it works different, my motivation comes from seeing great artist. I feel a great energy that makes me do artworks. So thank you for this experience. If you want to check out my blog: http://szilardartworks.blogspot.ro/ It's in-progress, but I guess there are some useful contents there. A few of my drawings, some posts about memory, philosophy, music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first visit to your blog! But I admire the precious time and effort you put into it,especially into interesting articles you share here. Thankyou very much and keep up the good work.
    help me with my essay
    affordable market 360
    adult market 360

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow such talent.....enjoyed the slides so much. Having never even attempting a portrait I find myself wishing I could do your kind of work. Karin Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin! You should give it a try - once you start painting portraits, you'll get hooked. :-)

      Delete
  4. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award, check it out on my blog http://olliebarnettink.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! It seems that the portraits are beeming with light! Incredible feelings!
    I've come across one interesting artist. Maybe, you'll like it:
    A little bit of art.
    By the way, I followed you up with GFC, it'd be great if you follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A project has been very nice.
    Portrait is wonderful.
    Greetings
    Burun Estetigi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...