Thursday, January 31, 2013

Birthday Bouquet, and a Nice Surprise

My birthday was two days ago, on the 29th. I thought it was going to be a very average Tuesday, but it wasn't that way at all!

First of all, my lovely younger sister, Cara, sent me a bouquet of flowers. Since I had most of the afternoon free, I decided to enjoy them the best way I know how: BY PAINTING THEM!

Here is the start: since flowers are so complicated, and move their little heads and leaves almost as much as the light changes during a plein air painting... I decided to start with one bloom and move to the next, one at a time. I have gotten to a point where I am very comfortable painting portraits and flesh tones, but since I don't paint a lot of flowers, this was quite challenging for me.


After about two hours, I was exhausted, but blissfully happy. Here is the painting at the stopping point. It is no where near finished; I plan on working on it some more today.


The big birthday surprise came later in the evening, when my hubby took me out to dinner and then took a detour... to Guitar Center. He let me pick out a digital piano! Now, for those of you who may not know this... music has been a huge part of my life ever since I started taking piano lessons at 8 years old. I minored in music in college, and played classical piano all the way up until graduating. At that point, though, I was forced to quit playing regularly - not because I was committed to being a full-time artist (which was true...), but simply because I didn't have a piano of my own. Five years later, I am finally going to get back into it! I am SOOOOO excited to pull out the Chopin, Haydn, Rachmaninoff, and Debussy again. Thank you, Steve! :-) :-)


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...