Monday, June 18, 2012

Off-Roading

I am an off-road kind of girl.

Mountains or beaches, you ask? Uh, mountains, please! Hands down I'll choose trees and rocks over water and sand. Trees... oh, how I love trees! I think it's because I grew up in the Midwest, where trees are everywhere, always changing, and always with character and personalities of their own. I grew up on 40 acres of woods. Whenever I needed an escape, and a moment of quiet... I would retreat to the wooded trails.

Thankfully, though Dallas is flat and boring, there is still an oasis nearby.

I pass by this particular tree when I walk my dog. It's rather ordinary, yet majestic - shading the dirt trail at the nature preserve just ten minutes from my house. I have wanted to paint it for a long time, and this morning, I did. There were mosquitoes biting through my jeans, but I toughed it out and was pretty happy with the results. I'll have to get a better photo of it... this doesn't show it, but I really globbed on the paint in the areas where the sun dappled the tree bark. I'm not sure I did it justice, but I hope I came close, at least.

I plan to venture out again later this week for some more happy "off-roading." :-)


 "Dappled Woods" - 12x9" - oil on linen panel - plein air sketch (1.5 hours)


The setting. :-)

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...