Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Trip Home; Fresh Inspiration

I just arrived home late Sunday night from a week-long trip to Wisconsin. Emily and I drove up there together and spent some quality time with family, getting to see our brand new nephew (as well as our 2 and 4-year-old nephew and neice), our two teenage brothers, and our college girl sister, Cara, and our parents' new dog - all the while enjoying an escape from the 90+ degree weather in Dallas! Wisconsin has gotten so much rain in the month of June that everything looks incredibly lush and beautiful, and unlike Dallas, it cools down at night to a pleasant 65 degrees. It was wonderful to be out in the country again; my parents have 80 acres of land, complete with meadows, woods, streams, and a scenic bluff, where my siblings and I have countless memories of exploring, hiking, and rock climbing as kids.

On Thursday morning, I took the opportunity to climb our bluff once again; I got up at 5:30 a.m. and carried my art supplies up there with me. I was huffing and puffing by the time I reached the top, but the incredible view was worth the work, and I spent an hour and a half creating an 8x10 oil sketch en plein air.

Here's a view from the bluff facing north-west:

A view from the bluff

And my perch on the eastern cliffs, overlooking a neighboring bluff - with my French easel and plein air sketch.

My French easel and plein air 8x10 on the bluff

Painting up there was so fun, and truly peaceful. I can't wait to come back and do some more plein air.

The rest of the week was spent with my parents, my siblings, and my neice and nephews. 4-year-old neice Alayna and 2-year-old nephew Hunter were great fun to do some face painting with.

Face painting!

Hunter and Alayna as a zebra and butterfly


Emily even let Alayna paint her face! Perhaps there's another future artist in my family?

Alayna painting Emily's face

Well, maybe not!

Face painting...the results

To top the week off, I brought a puppy home with me! It's not typical for Steve and me to make such a big, life-changing decision this quickly, but to make a long story short, my brother Jake's dog had puppies back in December. My dad got one of them, and the rest, they tried to sell, but four months after they sold Bella, the owner decided she didn't want her, and they were forced to buy her back. This was all a week after they just had a new baby, and their house was literally becoming a zoo! Anna and Steve to the rescue - Bella is the sweetest, most angelic dog I've ever met. She's a beautiful purebred English Springer Spaniel, now six months old, and already pretty well trained. She also travelled amazingly well for the 17-18 hour drive back to Wisconsin - she didn't have a single accident!

Anyway, I'm sure Bella will show up in some of my artwork eventually. I tend to paint those who are close to me, and she is going to be my new companion. It will certainly be nice to have her around during the day when I'm alone in my studio.

Bella

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...